Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Shoulder Recovery

I haven't written much about my shoulder and the recovery thereof. When I first hurt my shoulder I hit a brief stage of sadness thinking of recovery but an actual happiness that my shoulder would be better than when I had surgery on it 7 years ago. I had a shoulder that would chronically pop out of place after my first surgery and had grooved part of my bone because of it. Since that first surgery I had always thought it was going to get hurt again because it was so unstable. Even though I knew something was coming it was still hard to accept the fate that is recovery. It's a long and lonesome road and takes everything I have to keep myself going sometimes. The constant pain is torture and yet when I make even a little bit of headway it makes me so happy that I can keep gritting my teeth through it all. Even through these hardships, though, I think I'm making such good headway that I will be able to climb again and I will be able to do triathlons again. Having 5 pins in my shoulder will forever be a reminder of the commitment that's involved in climbing or backcountry skiing. Even if there is a lot of risk involved there is a lot of satisfaction.
I've gotten a little bit off point, but the point of this post is to fill you all in on the recovery. For as hard as it is there is a lot of happiness of getting back to normal. I still have a long road ahead and for as much as I feel like recovery is slow my PT informs me constantly that I'm far ahead of the curve. She's been keeping my head above water on some of the bad weeks.
I'll be back here soon enough...

1 comment:

Jenn Boerger said...

Glad to hear you're "ahead of the curve!" It is hard, having to heal and regain strength, but you're doing great! And, pretty soon you'll be even better with that darn thesis turned in!