Friday, February 8, 2008

Bridger Skiing I




This winter has been one for the record books! We've had amazing snow which has actually been consistent. This good old story is just from three weeks ago...
Mike and I were itching for some backcountry skiing because... well... we got over 80 inches in the mountains in one week! It has been freaking amazing! Luckily I've been sitting in my office all week watching it drop everywhere except my head. First off, I don't even want to hear about how studying is more important than skiing. We really need to figure out to whom is studying more important? I've already got one degree, another probably isn't a necessity...
Well, getting back to the good stuff on hand is the snow. I just started backcountry skiing this year, which has been lucky enough to be above the national average for avalanche deaths. Sorry Mom and Dad, and especially you Sister! I didn't plan it this way... stupid snow. errr wait... i love the snow, nevermind. On the plus side though, I'm always safe, don't worry (read: acceptable risk). So now that I have a touring set up, I've been getting into the backcountry here and there and now we're getting out when there is a ton of snow on the ground.
Mike and I wake up around 6:00 am and I meet him at his house at 7:00 am. Bright and early to get the fresh tracks! We're off and skinning up the northern part of the Bridger Range and thinking about how ridiculous all of the snow is. It takes about three hours to get to the top when we actually take our skins off our skis, grab a bite to eat and start skiing down. I can't tell you how excited I was to be skiing some of this stuff. It was absolutely insane! I took the first line and the snow was well over my waist. I wait about halfway down the slope looking into a tight chute that apparently goes off a cliff at the bottom of the chute. Probably not a good idea. So Mike and I make our way around this formation and get to the good stuff again. I'm watching Mike take turns down the next line and it's well over his head! He has to stop every now and then to keep the snow from suffocating him! Next I went down and it was actually hard to ski the run. It takes so much effort to make turns and we're essentially just plowing through the snow, not really skiing it. I could care less because this is the deepest snow I've skied in my life!
Well, we get to the bottom, skin back up and make one more run all the way down to the car. A glorious day!
I keep hoping another snow like this will happen again.

No comments: